From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A systemd-only Gentoo system
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:20:57
1 Hi; I've been running systemd in Gentoo since September from 2010, and
2 it works great for me: all my machines run it at this point. Right
3 now, we are getting really close to the point where we will be able to
4 uninstall sys-apps/openrc, sys-apps/sysvinit and sys-apps/baselayout,
5 and run a systemd-only Gentoo system.
6
7 I wanted to try to do exactly that, using a custom overlay, and it
8 turns out it's not that difficult: almost all the pieces are already
9 in the portage tree, and most of the ones missing are being tracked
10 right now in the Gentoo bugzilla. So after creating my overlay and
11 testing it on all my machines, I wanted to share the experience with
12 others.
13
14 Please note that this is as experimental as it can get, and certainly
15 not for the faint of heart. You will be running the latest versions of
16 the kernel, systemd, udev and probably dracut, and you will be saying
17 goodbye to (up until now) core components of Gentoo: baselayout and
18 openrc. If you follow all of the steps, you will not even have
19 /etc/init.d and /etc/conf.d directories.
20
21 If you already run systemd, the steps are not that difficult; if you
22 are not running systemd, I *strongly* recommend first to install it
23 and try it before attempting to use this overlay.
24
25 The overlay lives in
26 https://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only and you can get it
27 with
28
29 git clone git://github.com/canek-pelaez/gentoo-systemd-only.git
30
31 There is a README on it with step by step instructions, that you can
32 also read in this page:
33
34 http://xochitl.matem.unam.mx/~canek/gentoo-systemd-only/index.html
35
36 The normal warnings apply: I do not take any responsibility for any
37 harm your system may suffer, and it is intended for Gentoo users that
38 know what they are doing. If something breaks, you get to keep the
39 pieces.
40
41 If you do try it and find any problems with the overlay, please let me
42 know and I will try to fix them (and please don't bother the Gentoo
43 devs with said problems: they know nothing of this overlay, and I'm
44 doing this all by my own). I also will try to keep the overlay sync'ed
45 with the portage tree.
46
47 Regards.
48 --