From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:17:39
1 On Monday 01 March 2010 21:17:23 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 01 March 2010 22:28:42 Mick wrote:
3 > > > My pet peeve is Desktop. I have two monitors at work and use two X
4 > > > screens. KDE wants to create a Desktop and a Desktop-1 directory. I
5 > > > want it to just
6 > > >
7 > > > use the same set of files for both - background, icons, plasma widgets
8 > > > must be the same on both monitors, but actual app windows running
9 > > > there independent. This seems perfectly reasonable to me - e17 does it
10 > > > out the box - but thus far I have not found the magic voodoo spell that
11 > > > makes it happen.
12 > >
13 > > How does e17 compare in terms of resources to other WMs/DEs like *box,
14 > > LXDE, xface, these days? I had a look at it when it was all the rage
15 > > back when, but it looked too Gnomey to me at the time and I couldn't find
16 > > a reason for preferring it over say fluxbox.
17 >
18 > As of right now, I really couldn't say. About 6 months ago the e17 devs
19 > started ramping up for a release that was supposed to happen round about
20 > last xmas. Then Samsung and a French manufacturer of set-top boxes got in
21 > on the action, as a result the code changes faster than Paris Hilton
22 > changes her knickers. It stopped reliably building from one hour to the
23 > next ... :-)
24 >
25 > So I switched to KDE to get some stability and haven't tried again since.
26 >
27 > e17 has to be evaluated on it's own merits, like all other software. it's
28 > not "like" anything ... except perhaps e17 itself. It's claims to fame are
29 > twofold:
30 >
31 > 1. Themeability. If you have every written a KDE or Gnome theme engine you
32 > will know what a serious ball-ache it is. Code mixed in with specs mixed in
33 > with image files.... e17 does it a different way with .edj files. You write
34 > an .edc spec file in a declarative style (as in you say *what* you want,
35 > not *how* it is done - that's the engine's job to figure that out) and
36 > supply your images to be used on the widgets. Then run it through a
37 > mini-compiler to produce an .edj, tell the wm to use it and voila! theme
38 > applied. It's not just a simple "replace all those .pngs with these .pngs"
39 > to get a different set of colours - you change the entire look and feel of
40 > the desktop and the engine just knows what to do with it.
41 >
42 > 2. Configurability. Everything that can possibly be changeable is so,
43 > including stuff that really shouldn't be :-) It makes KDE look minimalist.
44 > Fortunately, a lot of the advanced stuff can be hidden in the config dialog
45 > which improves things.
46 >
47 > Resources - it's hard to write a wm these days that isn't a resource hog in
48 > some ways. If you want transparency and composition, be prepared to sell
49 > some cpu to get it. Having said that, e17 runs blindingly fast on ARM
50 > mobile devices when configured appropriately. It's nowhere near as
51 > minimalist as *box, those wm's are in a class where if they suit your
52 > needs, then nothing else will come close, especially not e17 which is
53 > designed to showcase graphic effects to a large degree. *box is the polar
54 > opposite of that
55
56 Thanks Alan, your insight in this is much appreciated. I've been trying
57 different things and keep coming back to fluxbox. Having spent time some
58 years ago to set it up just-as-I-want-it in terms of the menu with all my
59 apps, as well as the windows behaviour and decoration, I find that I am trying
60 to change other WMs to behave like fluxbox! Ha! I am a creature of
61 (minimalist) habit I guess. I'll probably have another pop at e17 and see
62 what gives.
63 --
64 Regards,
65 Mick