From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PRNG is not seeded
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:38:41
1 On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 23:24 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
3 > wrote:
4 > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:17:07 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
5 >
6 > > when i restart sshd I get PRNG is not seeded
7 > >
8 > > # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
9 > > PRNG is not seeded
12 > Does /dev/urandom exist? What are it's permissions?
15 > --
16 > Neil Bothwick
17 >
18 > Never eat more than you can lift.
19 >
20 > Hi
21 >
22 > Thanks for the clue,
23 >
24 > Both the files /dev/random and /dev/urandom are missing in my system.
25 >
26 > How do i go ahead in fixing this issue
27 >
28 > Thanks and Regards
29 >
30 > Kaushal
33 I'm not sure if this is a permanent solution because /dev is a tmpfs
34 created by udev on startup (maybe there is your problem?) but you could
35 try
36
37 mknod -m 444 /dev/random c 1 8
38 mknod -m 444 /dev/urandom c 1 9
39
40 Both commands are taken from Linux from Scratch.
41
42 There is a static /dev lying on your root-partition. It should have been
43 created when you extracted your stage3-tarball during installation.
44 Maybe there is something wrong with that one and udev doesn't create
45 (u)random when they are not in the static one. To see the static /dev
46 you must unmount /dev, which you can only do from a live-cd.