From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] lpr quit working
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:39:19
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a postscript printer HP4000N that is working fine.
4
5 All printing works except lp or lpr when sending a plain
6 ascii file, If I print a postscript file with lpr it works fine.
7
8 So where cups is suppose to automagically convert the
9 ascii file to postscript it fails. It all use to work,
10 but, I'm not sure when it quit working (probably an
11 upgrade to cups. None of my system can print to this
12 ethernet based print, with lpr and a ascii file.
13 Windows can. All other Gentoo printing is fine to this
14 printer(web, kpdf, ghostview etc etc).
15
16 When I print a test page from (http://localhost:631/
17 the test page prints just fine.
18
19 I not sure if its the ppd or foomatic or what is misconfigured.
20
21 I rebuilt cups and foomatic-db-ppds and that did not do the trick.
22 When I use commands like 'lpr filename <plain ascii text>'
23 it just prints the first line and the pages and pages
24 of blank pages. About every 10th page has a single line
25 across the top of the paper. Both lp and lpr do the same thing.
26
27 I went thru the cups gui (localhost:631) but everything
28 looks ok......
31 ideas or suggestions are most welcome.
32 James
35 James
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list