From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: mdev: sound is only working some of the time.
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:14:29
1 Hello, Walt.
2
3 On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 04:23:14PM -0700, walt wrote:
4 > On 03/20/2012 03:31 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hi, all.
6
7 > > Got a problem with my system running under mdev. When I try to play CDs
8 > > (with aqualung feeding into PulseAudio), no sound comes out. However,
9 > > when I listen to an audio section from a newspaper page such as
10 > > www.tagesschau.de (no idea what audio format) it works.
11
12 > > Clearly this is something to do with mdev. I had a look at the devices
13 > > in /dev, searching for those in group audio. Under udev, I find the
14 > > following as device nodes:
15
16 > > adsp audio dsp mixer mixer1 sequencer sequencer2.
17
18 > > Under mdev, all of these bar one are symlinks into the real nodes in a
19 > > subdirectory. The odd man out is mixer1 which is a device node, but
20 > > with owner/group begin root/root (rather than root/audio).
21
22 > > Can anybody suggest any fix, or further areas of exploration? Thanks!
23
24 > Can you do chown root:audio on the mixer as a test?
25
26 Done so. It didn't help. It's mightily curious why that one device is
27 different from the others. It's not so under udev.
28
29 Anyhow I found the problem. It was pulseaudio. I rebuilt it with its
30 udev use flag taken out. This didn't help.
31
32 Then I rebuilt aqualung without the pulseaudio flag, and now things work.
33
34 As I type, I am listening to Mahler's second symphony, played by the
35 Bamberger Symphoniker conducted by Jonathan Nott. I can recomment Mahler
36 for when things aren't going quite according to plan, and this recording
37 in particular.
40 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).