From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xen with Gentoo as dom0: sw or hw raid?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 19:39:28
1 On July 20, 2016 6:13:36 PM GMT+02:00, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Hi Gentoo-users,
3 >
4 >I'm going to build a small server with Xen-hypervisor with
5 >Gentoo as dom0 (if it is possible). Comming from ESXi-world,
6 >there is no choice (only true hw-raid is supported).
7 >
8 >But what about Linux? What's preffered way to go? Software-raid
9 >(mdadm), or true hardware raid-controller? I have a few spares
10 >(LSI-9271), these worked quite well with ESXi but I'm not sure
11 >they are supported by Linux at all, and if there is actually
12 >some way of monitoring controller-health...
13 >
14 >Concerning sw-raid, I have used it for quite some time, but
15 >never with Xen (is it actually possible?). Moreover, grub-config
16 >for Xen itself is somehow more complicated and sw-raid could add
17 >extra complexity...
18 >
19 >So the question is simple. For Xen-server with Gentoo as dom0,
20 >what do you recommend: sofware- or hardware-raid?
21 >
22 >Any other general tips concerning Xen (particularly with Gentoo
23 >as dom0)?
24 >
25 >Jarry
26
27 Short answer: if Linux kernel supports it. It will work inside the dom0.
28
29 Whatever is best depends in your requirements as linux sw raid can perform better that hw raid.
30 But. For Xen ensure you dedicate at least 1 core exclusively to dom0. Don't have any of your guests (domU) access the same CPU core as your dom0 uses.
31
32 As for grub complexity. I don't find this difficult. And even using UEFI boot for Xen isn't too difficult.
33 This is based on using either grub1 or EFI. Not using grub2 on any of my Xen machines.
36 Joost
37 --
38 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.