From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vde_switch cannot create tap
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 03:03:16
1 On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Albert W. Hopkins
2 <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > I read this document, and it seems to be doing basically what you get
4 > with libvirt, except libvirt does all that for you (but uses brctl
5 > instead of vde (I'm not sure what the differences are)).
6 >
7 > Anyway it seems like libvirt may be another alternative for you.  It
8 > takes care of the bridging/dnsmasq/masquerading stuff for you and also
9 > has some nice management features (and a gui).
12 bridge allow your vm to connect to the internet directly. the vm will
13 connect to the dhcp server as your host machine do.
14
15 vde creates a vlan on your host, and your vms connect to that vlan.
16 and your host machine will act like a gateway to your vm.
17
18 people say vde is easier to config if you have many vms. i actually
19 never tried bridge. maybe i should try it some time.
23 Best Regards,
24 David Shen
25
26 http://twitter.com/davidshen84/