From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 03:35:17
1 So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
2 steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.
3
4 The news item instructions specified that I had to remove
5 udev-postmount from my runlevels. I didn't have udev-postmount in my
6 runlevels, so I didn't remove it. Turns out, that dictum also applies
7 to udev-mount. So after removing that[1], I was able to at least boot
8 again.
9
10 Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
11 kernel.[2] I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and a
12 plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it and
13 rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.
14
15 I'm now able to get into X, but when I try to run an xterm, it fails.
16 Checking ~/.xsession_errors, I find:
17
18 xterm: Error 32, error 2: No such file or directory
19 Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys
20
21 I find this bizarre, as I'd never had any trouble with xterm in this
22 way before. What'd I do wrong, and how do I recover? I don't trust
23 emerging at this point; I tried re-emerging udev, and I aborted after
24 I saw an stderr line about failing to open a pty, even though portage
25 does quiet builds for parallel building by default...so I doubt
26 whatever emitted that line on stderr was being properly guarded
27 against the failure.
28
29 [1] I didn't have a boot cd or similar to work with, so I used the old
30 init=/bin/sh trick on the command line. That was functional. And then
31 I tried init=/usr/bin/vim, and things got real. :)
32
33 [2] Sparking a bemused discussion with a friend at tonight's LUG
34 meeting over the devfs->udev->udev+devtmpfs progression, but that's a
35 different story.
38 :wq