From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Need advice in selecting a mail server
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 21:01:24
1 I have three boxes (baby, camille, and catherine) in my LAN, and for
2 some reason (this was years ago) I set up an exim server on each of
3 them. camille and catherine were supposed to forward their mail to
4 baby, which has a working dovecot server. Now, nothing from catherine
5 is going through, and only mail sent from cron on camille is going
6 through, and everything on baby is being delivered. Some time a couple
7 of years ago my daily logwatch reports stopped coming (all of them) and
8 earlier this year my portage elogs stopped getting mailed to me. I
9 would like to replace all of them with something simple (like ssmtp),
10 but I'm not sure what the setup on baby needs to be so that I can still
11 access my hundreds of saved emails on the dovecot server. Every time
12 emerge on camille or catherine tries to send an elog I get the 451
13 error. I can't seem to find the attempts in the log files. Anyway, can
14 I use ssmtp on baby to receive/store network mail, or do I need
15 something extra like exim/sendmail?