From: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Complaint about nano "postinst" message
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 05:57:38
1 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > After my most recent sync and update, I checked the elogs for any
4 > configuration stuff or warnings. When a build throws a "postinst"
5 > message, I expect an important message, e.g. gtk2 says...
6 >
7 > ======================================================================
8 > LOG: postinst
9 > You need to rebuild ebuilds that installed into /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0
10 > to do that you can use qfile from portage-utils:
11 > emerge -va1 $(qfile -qC /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.[^1]*)
12 > ======================================================================
13
14 Even those are not always appropriate. Sometimes messages like that
15 are displayed even when, for the particular build it is not actually
16 necessary to rebuild the other packages - that only being necessary
17 when upgrading from version <x.y. This can lead to users either
18 performing unnecessary (and sometimes lengthy) rebuilds or getting so
19 used to seeing the message that the next time a rebuild really is
20 needed they do not do it (the "cry wolf" syndrome).
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list