From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I suppress the bleep when shutting down?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 13:41:38
1 On Wednesday 21 Oct 2015 14:29:24 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:23:46 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > "Modern" UEFI firmware not reporting such errors, if such be the case,
4 > > would be one of the reasons for me to depise UEFI as I do.
5 >
6 > I can't see that being true.
7 >
8 > > Why do I
9 > >
10 > > need UEFI? A traditional BIOS can boot my machine just fine, and the
11 > > sole purpose of UEFI seems to be to prevent OS's which aren't Microsoft
12 > > Windows from booting, and to brick certain Samsung laptops.
13 >
14 > You seem to be confusing UEFI with Secure Boot.
15 >
16 > For me, the greatest benefit of UEFI is that I no longer have to deal
17 > with GRUB.
18
19 Or MBR's limitation of not being able to boot from disks >2TB.
20
21 PS. A bit [O/T] but has anyone used Coreboot and how did it compare to UEFI?
24 Regards,
25 Mick