From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:40:05
1 On 2014-06-25, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have to say, I dread setting up a mail server about as bad as I dread
4 > going to the Doctor. It's just something I really don't want to add to
5 > my system unless I have to. It's sort of like the init thingy. I don't
6 > want to add something else that will eventually break and I'll have to
7 > fix. The mail system won't keep me from booting but it is just one more
8 > thing to keep a eye on and make sure it is working. So, making sure the
9 > mail system is working will likely take up the same amount of time that
10 > checking the drive manually every month or so will take.
11
12 I think you are _vastly_ overestimating the amount of effort required
13 to install and set up something like msmtp. It's completely trivial
14 compared to setting up sendmail (or even postfix). If you know the
15 name of your ISP's smtp server along with the username and password,
16 it doesn't take more than a minute or two to set up. And it just
17 doesn't break (unless you change the password and forget to update the
18 msmtp config file).
21 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm having a
22 at quadrophonic sensation
23 gmail.com of two winos alone in a
24 steel mill!