From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] speedup remote portage
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 07:51:12
1 > On 27 Feb 2020, at 00:08, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > due to space considerations on my laptop I have moved portage onto a
6 > network share (moosfs, mfsmounted) - slower but works fine. However,
7 > being a laptop trying to update/install when out and about is both very
8 > slow and network intensive through a vpn - again, it works but is even
9 > slower to the point of not always being practical
10 >
11 > Is there a way to localise/speedup portage scanning parts of the
12 > update/install process?
15 I used to use a portage tree shared over NFS. One thing that is worth considering, if you haven’t, is having the remote host manage tree syncing. This would remove the need for the laptop to be involved in the sync.
16
17 Also, I generally would try to avoid updating the system while out and about, so that when I am updating it is a local network operation. Obviously this won’t work if you need a package when out and about, but if you are local to the server every night or couple of nights, it would significantly reduce the pain of updates.
18
19 Cheers,
20 RobbieAB.