From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] getting digest verification failed when emerging bittorrent
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:31:03
1 On Sunday 08 March 2009 07:06:22 John covici wrote:
2 > on Saturday 03/07/2009 Dale(rdalek1967@×××××.com) wrote
3 >
4 > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > > On Saturday 07 March 2009 23:20:38 John covici wrote:
6 > > >> Hi. I am getting digest verification failed when trying to emerge
7 > > >> bittorrent -- it is having trouble with the Changelog file. The
8 > > >> exact message is:
9 > > >> !!! Digest verification failed:
10 > > >> !!! /usr/portage/net-p2p/bittorrent/ChangeLog
11 > > >> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
12 > > >> !!! Got: 19308
13 > > >> !!! Expected: 19466
14 > > >>
15 > > >> Is there a new ebuild coming?
16 > > >
17 > > > wait 24 hours, resync, try again.
18 > > >
19 > > > Or just re-digest the package manually:
20 > > >
21 > > > ebuild <path_to_ebuild_file> manifest
22 > >
23 > > Does emerge --digest still exist? I recall using something like that a
24 > > long time ago. I think I used it for googleforearth which never
25 > > matches.
26 >
27 > OK, thanks I was hoping something like that would work.
28
29 As others have already said (but the importance of it got lost in the ensuing
30 retorts), you have to be careful not to redigest stuff arbitrarily. This case
31 was a mere Changelog which doesn't affect the built binaries and hence is
32 safe.
33
34 Most digest failures are for one of two reasons:
35
36 1. Proprietary binaries that don't think it necessary to tell their customers
37 which version they are getting. They must think customer's are psychic,
38 2. The developer goofed and forgot to upload one or more changed files.
39
40 The dangerous case that digests are designed to help you with is malicious
41 changes where you get a trojan. This danger is real and you should take it
42 seriously. The fact that I've never actually *seen* it happen doesn't mean
43 anything and isn't even relevant.
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com