From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: npm: ERR! cb() never called!
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 04:28:56
1 Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Heavy on bad words and light on solutions, but it made me feel better:
5
6 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/motherfuckers_need_package_management.php
9 You know, when I read this I got quite a chuckle. Then I started to
10 'marinate' on this a while and stupid little things started to just
11 pop up in the back of my head. I've been trying to forget this post
12 ever since I read it; it has a bit too much truth to it, I suppose.
13 Then a bombshell hit me on a very big FOSS project (no do not ask the
14 name) that I could not believe I was reading.
17 It seems they have, somehow murky, all sorts of release tarballs with
18 proper identification, if you can find them with major.minor-revision
19 numbers, like we use in gentoo. But they pow_wow, pick the best one and then
20 release it with only major release numbers, although there are many, maybe
21 up to 5 or 6 tarballs floating around from the various work products
22 that should have the minor-rev info in the dam name.
25 So just spank my ass and send me home from coding school. How the hell can
26 they do that, and maintain any resemblance to credibility? Deep in the
27 ticket system you can find the details. Seriously, it's a joke and now
28 there's some finger pointing amongst some big names in 'open source'
29 development. I guess they just want folks to download major-distro binaries
30 and bolt ons to the various distros. What ends up in the distro binary
31 downloads is even a further drift from the sources. Some serious smoke and
32 mirrors.
33
34 So, Micheal's profanity, although not optimal, is ceratinly warranted.
35 The more I hack and write code the more I'm realizing that either idiocy
36 or chicanery is a mainstay of some major FOSS projects and the big distros?
37 Gut-wrencing experience, to say the least. I just can't believe folks this
38 smart that can code are such a bunch of fools............ Package manager?
39 These folks need a class in manners, ethics and common sense.
42 Rant on, Michael, Rant on!
45 hth,
46 James