From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 16:42:25
1 On 08/01/20 09:26, Mick wrote:
2 > The OS Product Key for a Win 7 will not work on a Win 10, unless the free
3 > upgrade option had been performed before July 2016. At least it has not
4 > worked here ... You'll need a Product Key, Digital License, or a Microsoft
5 > Account which has been linked to an activated Windows 10 Digital License.
6
7 I don't know what the date MS announced was, but this tactic certainly
8 worked after that - I did it myself. The key statement there is "NEVER
9 been used". If MS recognises the key, it will fail.
10
11 (I'm actually going to have a crack at it myself again, I've just
12 acquired a Win7 laptop - nice spec - that's pretty much unaltered
13 original so I'm guessing it's never been re-installed and the key used.)
14
15 Cheers,
16 Wol