From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:55:25
1 On 2010-09-30, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby<bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Grant Edwards
6 >>> <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> I can understand that things like example code blocks or sample
10 >>>> command input/output blocks might need to be wide enough to require
11 >>>> horizontal scrolling of a browser window, but normal text paragraphs
12 >>>> with 160 characters per line?
13 >>>>
14 >>> I'm not seeing a problem here. Sure, the lines are long but my screen
15 >>> is large and my resolution is high. A quick play with firefox and konq
16 >>> shows that the text reformats itself quite elegantly when you resize
17 >>> your browser window to say, 2/3 of screen width.
18 >>>
19 >> I'm using firefox, and the text doesn't reformat for me. I just end
20 >> up with a change in the size of the horizontal scrollbar. Are you
21 >> sure you're looking at the same pages I was talking about?
22 >>
23 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
26 > The link above works fine although a bit wide. No horizontal scrollbar.
27
28 And what happens when you narrow the window to say 2/3 of that width?
29 Do the text paragrphs reformat to the new width, or do you just end up
30 with a scrollbar and paragraphs that you have to scroll right to read?
31
32 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2
35 > This one has a horizontal scrollbar but only adjust about a half inch or
36 > so. It almost fits.
37
38 Are the text paragraphs re-wrapped as you narrow the window?
41 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My BIOLOGICAL ALARM
42 at CLOCK just went off ... It
43 gmail.com has noiseless DOZE FUNCTION
44 and full kitchen!!