From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:23:46
1 On Mon 13 Aug 2012 08:28:15 PM IST, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 >> I guess traversing through directories may be faster with XFS,
3 >> but in my experience ext4 perfoms better than XFS in regard to
4 >> operations (cp, rm) on small files.
5 >> I read that there are some tuning options for XFS and small
6 >> files, but never tried it.
7 >>
8 >> But if somone seconds XFS I will try it too.
9 >
10 > It's been a while since I messed with this but isn't XFS the one
11 > that hates power failures and such?
12 >
13 > Dale
14 >
15 > :-) :-)
16 >
17 > --
18 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
19 >
20 > Well, it's the delayed allocation of XFS (which prevents
21 > fragmentation) that does not like sudden power losses :) But ext4 has
22 > that too, you can disable it though - that should be true for XFS too.
23 > But the power situation in the datacenter has never been a problem so
24 > far, and even if the cache partition get's screwed, we can always
25 > rebuild it. Takes a few hours, but it would not be the end of the world :)
26
27 Yes, XFS hates power failures. I got a giant UPS for my home desktop to
28 use XFS because of it's excellent performance ;-)
31 Nilesh Govindrajan
32 http://nileshgr.com