From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-apps/kbd-1.12-r8
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 11:16:23
1 On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:44:31 +0000, Steve [Gentoo] wrote:
2
3 > The problem is that the configure script starts '#!/bin/sh' - but goes
4 > on to depend upon Bash specific features... specifically substitution.
5 > I expect this would not be a problem for most users where /bin/sh is a
6 > sym-link to /bin/bash.... but, for me, /bin/sh was a sym-link to
7 > /bin/ash... and, for that shell, line 151 is invalid. What is less
8 > clear is whether or not, in a Gentoo context, it is 'correct' to have
9 > /bin/sh being Borne-like but not Bash-like. By preference I'd prefer
10 > /bin/sh to be the minimal shell that will execute Borne-shell scripts...
11 > but I recognise the Linux-world normality of /bin/sh actually being
12 > bash.
13
14 Bash behaves differently when called as sh, to avoid just this sort of
15 problem. However, if the script calls /bin/sh while requiring bash
16 features it is clearly broken and a bug should be files.
17
18 Unfortunately, this type of breakage is all too common; I tried using
19 dash as /bin/sh for a short while and found all sorts of things falling
20 over. In this case, it can be easily fixed, by the ebuild altering the
21 shebang line of configure before running it.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Psychiatrists say that 1 of 4 people are mentally ill.