From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:51:38
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 February 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
3 >
4 >> Yes, everything will be defragmented. In addition, it will leave gaps
5 >> between files. So if a file lateron grows it will not immediately
6 >> fragment.
9 > Which will cause a stupid script to report fragmentation if the author
10 > does not understand file system structure...
14 Yea, I have always read that Linux file systems are a lot better at
15 taking care of fragmentation. Considering how old this install is and
16 how much has been installed/removed/upgraded over the past several
17 years, I think it is not to bad really. Even 10% with the number of
18 files I have is better than fat or NTFS. My bro has XP with NTFS and it
19 gets downright awful.
20
21 For the record, I have over 502,000 files and over 49,000 directories on
22 this system. That's less than 20,000 files that are fragmented. It's
23 not just the OS but documents, little movies and a LOT of pictures.
24
25 Maybe I just need a bigger hard drive. O_O I have two 80GB drives and
26 a single 40GB drive. Waiting on DSL. he he he he he
27
28 I also attached a copy of the program I used. I think I got it off the
29 forums. Maybe some guru can improve it a little. ;-)
30
31 Dale
32

fragck.pl text/x-perl