From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption? [FIXED]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 08:09:43
1 On Tuesday, 24 September 2019 09:50:44 BST I wrote:
2
3 > The Gentoo Handbook says to create a small unformatted partition at the
4 > beginning of the (primary?) disk, then to create a FAT-32 partition for
5 > /boot, then whatever other partitions are required.
6
7 Another question answered: yes, it has to be the primary disk. I installed a
8 small test system on another disk. It has its own FAT-32 /boot partition, in
9 which I set up a similar directory structure to the main system's. Efibootmgr
10 still insisted on adding the UEFI entry to the main set, in spite of my
11 telling it to use the secondary disk. And the BIOS couldn't see the image on
12 the secondary disk.
13
14 The conclusion is that, at least on this motherboard, there is precisely one
15 set of UEFI boot images, and it lives on the primary disk of the system. Well,
16 I haven't yet worked out how much of it is on the disk and how much in BIOS
17 storage. The point remains, however, that I can't spread boot images over
18 several disks.
21 Regards,
22 Peter.