From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compositing too slow in KDE
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:49:56
1 On Wednesday 23 March 2011 13:34:27 Bill Longman wrote:
2 > On 03/22/2011 11:57 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > >> My kernel is 2.6.36-r5 gentoo-sources running on the AMD Athlon II X4
4 > >> machine:
5 > >> $ zgrep RADEON /proc/config.gz
6 > >> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
7 > >> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
8 > >> CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
9 > >> CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y
10 > >> CONFIG_FB_RADEON_BACKLIGHT=y
11 > >> # CONFIG_FB_RADEON_DEBUG is not set
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >> Wonderfully wobbly windows once again, without widespread (and
15 > >> unwelcomed) untimely terminations.
16 > >
17 > > How can you use x11-drivers/radeon-ucode (with KMS) *and*
18 > > CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y ?
19 > >
20 > > On two machines of mine I end up with a blank screen if I add a
21 > > framebuffer driver.
22 >
23 > I don't know, Mick. I have FB_MODE_HELPERS=y? or maybe because I have
24 >
25 > CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
26 > CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m
27 >
28 > these won't kick in until the module loads. Also, I use genkernel to
29 > build all the init stuff for me. I also have MTRR sanitizer turned on.
30 > Here are the other kernel settings I have, again, on the Athlon II X4
31 > system, that could be relevant:
32 >
33 > CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL=m
34 > CONFIG_FB=y
35 > CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
36 > CONFIG_FB_DDC=y
37 > CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT=y
38 > CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
39 > CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
40 > CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
41 >
42 > Now last night on my Phenom 940, I was unable to get KDE to remain
43 > stable unless I turned on KMS. Now that system, too, is stable as far as
44 > the half hour of testing I performed was able to show.
45
46 Just to let you know that the latest mesa-7.10.1 fixed things for me nicely.
47 Now compositing works in KDE and E17 gives me no artifacts with OpenGL
48 acceleration.
49
50 :)
53 Regards,