From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean wants to remove xorg-server and xf86-video-intel
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:20:50
1 On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>>> Don't most (all?) X apps depend on xorg-server?
3 >>>
4 >>> Nope. No X app depends on the server, because the server could be running on
5 >>> another machine.
6 >>>
7 >>> Bye...
8 >>>
9 >>>        Dirk
10 >>
11 >> Ah, bingo, thank you.  I'll add xorg-server to world.
12 >>
13 >> - Grant
14 >
15 > Actually, could xorg-x11 be a better choice for the world file?  What
16 > does it provide?
17 >
18 > - Grant
22 Depends. I use xorg-server on most of mine but if you want/need a mire
23 full X setup, more fonts, etc., then use xorg-x11.
24
25 You can always start with xorg-server and switch over later as the
26 server is a subset of the latter.
27
28 HTH,
29 Mark