From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vm still grinding away at compiling webkitgtk-2.14.2
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 16:00:22
1 On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:32:25AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > > Are you building in a tmpfs? That would perform better than an ssd
5 > > and would be much less wear on your flash besides. Of course, some
6 > > packages do take a while to build. I don't notice as much now that I
7 > > do most of my building from cron, but it can be painful when you have
8 > > dependency chains or soname changes.
9 >
10 > I hope this isn't more low grade density on my part but you do mean a
11 > tmpfs on the vm right?
14 I'm not Rich but I'm sure that's what he means. I have an SSD, and using
15 a tmpfs for building speeds up builds significantly - probably 10-15%.
16
17 This will mean that you'll need a significant amount of memory allocated
18 to the VM. Mounting a tmpfs defaults to half of the memory available to
19 the machine, which seems like a decent rule of thumb. If you give the VM
20 8GB of memory, the tmpfs will have 4GB of space.
21
22 Alec