From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] failure to login with xdm or gdm
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:45:42
1 Am 08.06.2012 16:22, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
2 > Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
3 > an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).
4 >
5 > With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen. Just the funny cursor going
6 > round and round.
7 >
8 > With xdm, I do get the login screen, but both for me and for root,
9 > after entering username/passwd the login box goes away for a few seconds
10 > and then reappears.
11 >
12 > For both root and me .xsession-errors has just one line
13 > /usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsession: line 71: exec: xsm: not found
14 >
15 > I do not have xsm merged on either the failed or working machine.
16 > I will merge it now, but wonder why, if needed, update world didn't say
17 > so.
18 >
19 > Any help would be appreciated.
20 >
21 > thanks,
22 > allan
25 From what you describe, it sounds more like X-Server crashing than XDM
26 or GDM having a problem. Does `startx` work from the terminal? Did you
27 check the usual suspects (revdep-rebuild, re-emerging x11-drivers)?
28
29 Regards,
30 Florian Philipp