From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync from ext3 to vfat?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:32:45
1 On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:12:40 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
6 > on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
7 > I think I want to match only the name, creation date & file size. The
8 > eSATA drive needs to be vfat due to limitations of the audio/video
9 > device it will be plugged into.
10
11 You will have problems if you try to rsync a maildir folder:
12
13 stefan@g128 .maildir % ls -l cur
15 -rw------- 1 stefan stefan 6177 27. Jul 2011 1311745926.M692969P7969.g128,S=6177,W=6324:2,RS
16
17 The : in the filename will throw *fat as well as ntfs.
18 At least it did when I tried it here last time.
19
20 The devil's in the details, as always.
21 s.