From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Following a well overdue world -u I have no network
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:35:44
1 Followin a well overdue emerge world -u I have no network on reboot.
2
3 The pieces seem to be there, although I'm not sure I remember what all
4 goes into it.
5
6 /etc/conf.d/net has the eht0 address and gateway address but its not
7 getting set on bootup.
8
9 I can ifconfig and route it into place of course but wondering why it
10 isn't just happening like before the update.
11
12 I went thru the new conf files with etc-update and seemingly was
13 carefull to get them right or merged etc.
14
15 Another very disturbing phenomena is that a mail spool directory I've
16 used for years in ~/spool is getting deleted by something. This is
17 not tolerable of course since all mail resides there at least until it
18 is slurped by my emacs/gnus reader.
19
20 I did notice some rsnaphot errors on first reboot that indicated a
21 needed parameter (`config_version') was missing from my conf files.
22 Must be someting new in rsnapshot since those confs worked fine
23 prior to update. I went ahead and added the parameter:
24 config_version 1.2 to each conf and recieved no more errors.
25
26 What steps do I need to track down the network not getting setup and
27 the mysterious deletions?
28
29 Can some one just list the various files that contain the needed
30 network settings. Maybe I've inadvertantly overwritten something.
31
32 Any ideas how to track donw what is deleting ~/spool?
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list