From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is a "packet"? Was: Checksum error
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:40:55
1 On Sunday 11 October 2009 20:21:29 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 091011 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > Paket = packet ; Paket = package
4 >
5 > Oh dear ! -- English calls such words 'false friends' !
6 > My German-English dictionary (Langenscheidt) suggests E 'package' = G
7 > 'Pack', while E 'packet' = G 'kleines Pack' or 'Päckchen'.
8 >
9 > In English, a 'packet' calls to mind something in an envelope, eg a letter;
10 > 'package' brings a picture of something tied up with string, ie a parcel.
11 > In computer English, a 'package' is eg Gentoo's 'app-arch/bzip2-1.0.5-r1';
12 > a 'packet' is a fragment of a file sent through the Internet,
13 > different packets possibly taking different routes to their destination,
14 > where they are reassembled into the complete file.
15
16 More generally, I think of a packet as a unit of something - soap powder,
17 data, correspondence - while a package is a bundle of things - programs,
18 Christmas presents, packets of sweets.
19
20 No doubt that doesn't accord with any dictionary, but it seems to work.
23 Rgds
24 Peter