From: Michael Cook <mcook@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasma upgrade heads up for possible problem
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 01:24:51
1 On 3/5/19 7:47 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I just did a KDE plasma upgrade to 5.15.  I ran into a slight problem
5 > that may or may not affect others so I wanted to give a heads up just in
6 > case.  Everything builds fine.  I had no compile or install failures.
7 > What I did run into tho was a missing or more likely crashed
8 > kicker/panel/thingy that is at the bottom of my screen.  It's the thing
9 > that has the clock, desktop switcher, clip board and the K menu as
10 > well.  I never can remember what they call that this week.  Anyway, when
11 > I logged in, it came up for just a second or two and then disappeared.
12 > Obviously, you can't switch desktops in the normal way but if you use
13 > the ctrl and functions keys, it doesn't act or look like it normally
14 > should since there doesn't appear to be any background at all.  Example,
15 > I have Kpatience on desktop 6.  If I switch to it with the ctrl function
16 > keys, I can play the game normally.  However, if I switch to what at
17 > startup is a empty desktop, #5 for example, the game still shows but
18 > doesn't work.  If I switch back to desktop 6, it works as it should
19 > again.  Whatever it is, it doesn't redraw the screen when you switch if
20 > you don't have something already running there.  Other programs behaved
21 > in a similar way.  It makes it look like all desktops are on one desktop
22 > yet switching still works.  It's plenty weird.  Also, there is no K menu
23 > so you can't start any programs that doesn't open from a saved session
24 > on login.  Trust me, if you run into this, you won't miss it.  Even if
25 > you don't notice the panel thingy at the bottom missing, you will notice
26 > the rest.  It gets in your face and yells loudly that something ain't
27 > right.  lol
28 >
29 > What little bit of error I found mentioned something about a missing
30 > input.  To be honest tho, I'm not sure it was related to what I saw
31 > happening.  None of the errors looked like a complete failure but more
32 > as a informational type message.  Sort of like video drivers that have
33 > the "--" or "II".  They show something didn't work as expected but it
34 > found a way around it or works without it.
35 >
36 > I don't have enough info to file a bug.  The way I fixed it, I did a
37 > emerge -e world.  It might be that a emerge -ek would fix it but to be
38 > sure, I let it recompile everything.  It didn't quite finish when I
39 > tried to login and it worked normally.  If I had a clue what package it
40 > was that was causing this, I'd certainly file a bug but it could be any
41 > number of packages.  I suspect it is a dependency myself.  Something
42 > needed to be rebuilt but wasn't for some reason.
43 >
44 > I hope no one runs into this but if you do, make sure you at least have
45 > a back up GUI installed, even if it doesn't give you anything but the
46 > basics, at least you have a GUI.  You may also want to make sure you
47 > have time to deal with this just in case you do run into this problem.
48 > Having something so you can go back to 5.14 easily may work as well.
49 >
50 > Best of luck to all.  I hope no one else hits this.  It was plenty weird.
51 >
52 > Dale
53 >
57 Doing a revdep-rebuild.sh found the issue for me. (Note the newer
58 version of this script without .sh did not find the issue)