From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox occasionally stalls
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 19:57:26
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > This post is rather vague, sorry about that in advance.
3 >
4 > I've spent much time on this and gotten absolutely nowhere. So I
5 > conclude all my thoughts and assumptions are wrong and not worth even
6 > sharing (on account of them being so wrong).
7 >
8 > I have firefox like this:
9 >
10 > [I] www-client/firefox
11 > Available versions: 45.7.0^d 45.8.0^d (~)51.0.1^d {bindist
12 > custom-cflags custom-optimization dbus debug ffmpeg +gmp-autoupdate
13 > +gstreamer gtk2 hardened hwaccel jack +jemalloc +jemalloc3 +jit neon
14 > pgo pulseaudio rust selinux +skia startup-notification system-cairo
15 > system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx
16 > system-sqlite test wifi L10N="ach af an ar as ast az be bg bn-BD bn-IN
17 > br bs ca cak cs cy da de dsb el en-GB en-ZA eo es-AR es-CL es-ES es-MX
18 > et eu fa ff fi fr fy ga gd gl gn gu he hi hr hsb hu hy id is it ja ka
19 > kk km kn ko lij lt lv mai mk ml mr ms nb nl nn or pa pl pt-BR pt-PT rm
20 > ro ru si sk sl son sq sr sv ta te th tr uk uz vi xh zh-CN zh-TW"}
21 > Installed versions: 51.0.1^d(21:30:20 21/02/2017)(dbus
22 > gmp-autoupdate jemalloc pulseaudio skia startup-notification
23 > system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx
24 > system-sqlite wifi -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug
25 > -gtk2 -hardened -hwaccel -jack -neon -pgo -rust -selinux -system-cairo
26 > -test L10N="en-GB en-ZA -ach -af -an -ar -as -ast -az -bg -bn-BD
27 > -bn-IN -br -bs -ca -cak -cs -cy -da -de -dsb -el -eo -es-AR -es-CL
28 > -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fr -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi
29 > -hr -hsb -hu -hy -id -is -it -ja -ka -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mai
30 > -mk -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -nn -or -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -si
31 > -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -ta -te -th -tr -uk -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW")
32 > Homepage: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
35 > with these plugins:
36 > - adblockplus
37 > - flashblock
38 > - foxyproxy standard
39 > - restart browser
40 > - user agent switcher
41 > - youtube all html5
42 >
43 > Occasionally, according to no discernable pattern, all my tabs on all
44 > some/most/all Firefox windows stop responding. Clicking and scrolling
45 > in the content has no effect. Can't open new tabs, can't close tabs,
46 > can't switch to existing tabs. Sometimes it affects only one firefox
47 > window, sometimes all firefox windows.
48 >
49 > Imagine if you will that firefox is coded with one global loop that
50 > gets user actions and responds, then that loop gets stuck somewhere.
51 > The firefox window will not be affected (controlled by KDE), and
52 > neither is the X-server but the tabs can all do nothing till the loop
53 > unsticks. It's an effect like that.
54 >
55 > Sometimes it does work after a delay >30s.
56 > The sysadmin in me says 30s? Hah, check DNS resolver timeouts.
57 > Checked, found nothing unusual. Proxy looks OK, VPN looks OK, Chrome
58 > never has this problem so it's firefox specific.
59 >
60 > Firefox itself is up, it responds correctly to moving around the
61 > menus, just can't do some of the actions like open the Addons page
62 > (that is regular content in a tab).
63 >
64 > The issue ALWAYS goes away if I restart firefox, either with the
65 > restart addon or Alt-F4 and start from KDE menu. I have "load previous
66 > tabs" set to true so those actions are pretty equivalent.
67 >
68 > DE is Plasma 5, and the problem isn't from a recent upgrade, I've been
69 > battling with this for ages through MANY kde and firefox updates.
70 >
71 > My question:
72 > Where the hell do I start to figure out what's really going on?
73 > I used up all my sysadmin troubleshooting knowledge and have had to
74 > revert back to n00b status on this one.
77 Mine does something like that too. Sometimes mine will pop up and say
78 script so and so is not responding and then have a option to stop or
79 continue. What I did that helped some, installed noscript which stops
80 all the scripts except the ones I allow. So far, that has helped a
81 lot. You may want to try that and see if it helps you any. If it does,
82 then it is likely a script hanging up Firefox. If not, uninstall and
83 look for something else I guess.
84
85 I might add, I've also had this happen on Seamonkey where I have far
86 fewer tabs open. Usually it is a site that has a Disqus comment
87 section. Those hang a lot especially if there is a lot of comments.
88 I've had those type 10, 15 and even 20 seconds behind me and I'm a slow
89 typer. I'm typing along and when I look up, it can be a whole sentence
90 behind me but it slowly fills in if I wait.
91
92 Yours may be a browser problem only but for me, I think it is more
93 websites than anything else. Some just suck.
94
95 Hope that helps. It's not like you haven't ever helped me before. lol
96
97 Dale
98