From: Peter Wilmott <p@×××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] more on SSD: swap
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:42:19
1 On 21/07/13 15:31, luis jure wrote:
2 > OK, now i have my system successfully installed and running on my new SSD.
3 > now i have to decide what to do with the rest of the disk (it's a 256MB
4 > samsung).
5 >
6 > the first big question is: what about swap? i found some web pages
7 > (perhaps old) stating that it's not wise to put swap on the SSD because of
8 > all the read/writes. but apparently from what i read on the recent
9 > thread on this list, that shouldn't be much of a concern now.
10 >
11 > i also read somewhere that if you have swap on the SSD and want to avoid
12 > unnecessary read/writes, you can reduce swappiness. i have 12GB RAM and i
13 > think normally i don't really need swap space on disk, so i thought that
14 > could be a good idea.
15 >
16 > so what i'm planning to do now is:
17 >
18 > - put swap on the SSD
19 > - reduce swappiness
20 > - put /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs
21 >
22 > so, do you guys think that's a good setup?
23 >
24 TBH, unless you are really stressing your RAM usage (Lots of VMs or Java
25 applications, stuff like that) I'd go without swap. I've been running
26 swapless on 8GB of RAM for a number of years now with no issues.
27
28 As for /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs, this is fine 95% of the time, however
29 even with ~2GB I allocate some packages (Chromium, LibreOffice, ect)
30 will fail to compile due to lack of space. In these cases I just
31 un-mount /var/tmp/portage, do the compile on the disk, and then re-mount
32 it.