From: tlze <whytlze@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup of remote virtual server
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:33:14
1 On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com
2 > wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have a remote Gentoo virtual server and want to implement a better
7 > backup/restore plan. There is no physical access to the server, so any
8 > backup must be done over the Internet. Right now I just create the
9 > occasional tarball and download it, and have used tar+ssh to restore,
10 > but that's not complicated enough. ;)
11 >
12 > The whole data uncompressed is about 5GiB but of course I can exclude
13 > distfiles and save a lot of bytes. I don't need a dd backup of the
14 > whole disk, just backup of its contents (complete system including /
15 > and everything in it)
16 >
17 > I'm curious what you, collective Gentoo-users, may be using to solve
18 > this problem. rsync, rdiff-backup, rsnapshot, dirvish, bacula,
19 > tar+ssh...?
20 >
21 > To me, one of the most important things of any backup solution is the
22 > ease at which data can be restored. In my case, restoration would
23 > probably happen from remotely booting into a recovery liveCD or on a
24 > new Gentoo virtual server image.
25 >
26 > Thanks,
27 > Paul
30 tar czf – file| ssh server “cat > file.tar.gz”
31 "-" Standard output
32 (I know a little Englis)
35 tlze