From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing ebuilds
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 23:20:31
1 On 2020.03.18 18:59, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > After a hiatus I am trying to create my own ebuild repository again.
3 > I
4 > need a way to test the separate steps (fetch, prepare, comiple,
5 > install
6 > etc.) and I would like to do all of them as a regular user (not root,
7 > not portage). I tried what I thought was the most natural attempt -
8 > run
9 > the ebuild program under fakeroot, but it still breaks trying to
10 > change
11 > permissions of things in PORTAGE_TMPDIR (of course override the value
12 > of
13 > this variable). I don't understand this - it looks just like what
14 > fakeroot was intended to help with? Anyway, I'm not married to
15 > fakeroot,
16 > just looking for a way to do these test runs.
17 >
18 > I remember that I could do this the first time, a couple of years ago.
19 > But I don't remember how :-(
20 This is from memory - not currently tested, but I often do the various
21 ebuild steps as myself, without a fakeroot, and not overriding the
22 system PORTAGE_TMPDIR.. Again, from memory, as long as I opened
23 permissions on PORTAGE_TMPDIR so I could create the necessary
24 directories, I could do all steps as myself except for the final
25 qmerge. Once you create the group and package directories under
26 PORTAGE_TMPDIR, there shouldn't be any problems. The final qmerge step
27 clearly requires root, unless you are using a chroot to install
28 somewhere other than the real system directories.
29
30 Jack