From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-kernel vs. gentoo-sources
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:46:31
1 On Thursday 04 May 2006 09:59, S. Schwartz wrote:
2 > Glenn Enright wrote:
3 > > Nvidia dont release the source for this driver, which makes it difficult
4 > > for others to patch it, even if they new how the card internals worked
5 > > ;).
6 >
7 > As far as I understand, the binary driver itself is not patched. The
8 > patching concerns the way it is integrated into your system (e.g.
9 > symbols and certain function calls, of course kernel related stuff) --
10 > and there are source files for that. That's what is being compiled by
11 > emerge. The problem with the function/symbol pci_find_class has occured
12 > before with an older version of nvidia-kernel and was patched
13 > successfully. So, I guess it's just a matter of time and patching
14 > experience.
15 >
16 > But because of the reasons Richard wrote/summarized, it's not looking
17 > very good :-/
18 >
19 > > Does the xorg nv driver do what you need?
20 >
21 > Fortunately yes. I can start X an do all 2D-things. For the time being
22 > I'll have to live with that.
23 >
24 > So, I guess my search for some help has come to a dead end. Thank you
25 > for all your suggestions and information. Let's hope for better Nvidia
26 > support in the future.
29 Do you have read this thread?
30 http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67068
31 --