From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java apps in 64 bit JVM?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:36:06
1 On Montag 29 Juni 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > The company has a Juniper Secure Connect VPN and I run amd64. The process
5 > is: log in via a web page in a browser, click a button and the page starts
6 > a java APP to create the ssl tunnel - a full blown Swing app, not a mere
7 > applet.
8 >
9 > I've only ever got this Java app to run in 32 bit Firefox with the
10 > java-x86- emul package. 64 bit Firefox, Konqueror, Opera all fail. I've
11 > tried sun-jdk, sun-jre (nsplugin and nsplugin-2), blackdown and icedtea.
12 >
13 > The only thing that works is firefox-bin with a 32bit jvm. The app doesn't
14 > do much in the way of logging so I don't know why it's failing. This
15 > strikes me as odd:
16 >
17 > A java app is bytecode that is independent of platform. It should make no
18 > difference whether a 32bit or 64bit jvm executes the bytecode as the format
19 > of the Java Virtual Machine and it's bytecode is constant.
20 >
21 > Surely?
22
23 yes, the bytecode is agnostic. But the vm is not - and look into the
24 directory, tons and tons of old crap. If juniper is badly programmed, it might
25 trigger some bug in the old stuff.