From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmux first impression
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:39:15
1 On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 06:48:47PM -0600, Dale wrote
7 >>>
8 >>> I read that but still would love to here of someone else's experience.
9 >>>  From that link tho, it sounds . . . interesting.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >>   I emerged tmux a couple of hours ago and have been playing around with
13 >> it.  It looks like fun.  I have a 24" LCD monitor.  I prefer console text
14 >> mode for non-graphic stuff (e.g. email).  Here's what I've done so
15 >> far...
16 >> 1) grep 1280 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
17 >>    This gives me a list of 1280xwhatever modes that my monitor supports.
18 >> In my case, it's 1280x720 and 1280x960 and 1280x1024.
19 >>
20 >> 2) I entered the line
21 >>
22 >> CONSOLEFONT="lat1-14"
23 >>
24 >> in /etc/conf.d/consolefont
25 >>
26 >> 3) and also "video=1280x720" in the "append" line of /etc/lilo.conf
27 >>
28 >> 4) I entered the line
29 >>
30 >> set -g prefix C-a
31 >>
32 >> in ~/.tmux.conf because every site on the web that reviewed it said that
33 >> was the way to go.  Apparently, the developer uses {CONTROL-B} as the
34 >> default hotkey to avoid colliding with {CONTROL-A} which screen uses.
35 >> But everyone agrees that {CONTROL-B} is badly placed on the keyboard.
36 >>
37 >> 5) Then I rebooted
38 >>
39 >>   The text console mode is now 1280 pixels x 720 pixels as per the
40 >> "video=" parameter.  The consolefont sets 8x14 (EGA) font.  A bit of
41 >> division gives...
42 >> 1280 / 8 = 160
43 >> 720 / 14 = 51 plus a bit.
44 >>   So I have a 160 x 51 text console.  I fired up tmux, and split the
45 >> screen vertically.  I now have 2 panes.  The first one is 80 x 50 and
46 >> the second is 79 x 50.  This is after allowing for the vertical dividing
47 >> line (one column) and the status bar at the bottom.  The 14-pixel high
48 >> font is quite nice.  And on a 24" monitor it's very readable.  If you
49 >> prefer, you could go with the 16-pixel high (VGA) font.  That gives 720
50 >> / 16 = 45 rows, or 44 working rows plus the status line.  Both text
51 >> pages are in "portrait mode", i.e. they're higher than they are wide.
52 >> Sort of like 2 facing pages of a book.  This could be useful for
53 >> editing a program in one pane, and then compile and execute in another.
54 >>
55 >>   If your eyesight is better than mine, you could try "video=1280x960"
56 >> and 16-pixel high font, which will give a 160 x 60 text console.
57 >>
58 >>   I like it.  One of these days, when desktop monitors hit 30", I'll set
59 >> the video to 1920x1080 and have 3 pages across.<G>
63 > I installed it too.  It seems a lot like screen to me and screen seems to do
64 > what I need.  I did hit ctrl a several times tho.  lol  I was wondering what
65 > would happen if you started tmux then started a screen session inside it.
66 >
67 > My 22" LCD monitor is 1920x1080.  Since my glasses are sort of old, I would
68 > rather have a slightly smaller screen.  I need new glasses for sure.
69 >  Anyway, I got everything set up for this size now.
70 >
71 > I may play with tmux some more tho.  I do like the little status thingy at
72 > the bottom.  I had that on screen on my old rig but forgot to copy it over
73 > to my new rig.
74 >
75 > Thanks for the post and the tips.
76 >
77 > Dale
78 >
79 > :-)  :-)
80
81 I've just taken a day to play with it, if only a little, yesterday and
82 I have to say, I do like it so far, but I'll have to put some work
83 into mapping keys to match what I'm used to from using both screen and
84 ratpoison together. The lack of <escape key>+space to jump to the next
85 by default was the biggest catch for me so far, and I also generally
86 use <key>+w for a rapid reminder of what's where when I'm hopping
87 through larger numbers of terminals, a habit that slows me down a lot
88 when I walk face first into a selection menu rather than just a quick
89 flash of information, so it's a habit that would need to change. I
90 don't often use the split, even screen's horizontal, as it doesn't do
91 much good for me on a little 9in screen.
92
93 In the end, it's very promising, has a lot of great information that'd
94 take a fair amount of configuring to get from screen (And as much as I
95 don't like the binding for that menu, I do like the feature), but
96 would require me either breaking habits or working around them with
97 the configuration quite a bit. I think, were it not for ratpoison
98 taking screen's shortcut keys wholesale with only a few additions, I'd
99 be a lot quicker to pick up tmux. As it is, I suspect I'm as stuck on
100 my habits as a heavy windows user is theirs. Screen on it's default of
101 control+a, ratpoison on a straight windows key tap.
104 Poison [BLX]
105 Joshua M. Murphy