From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] passwd won't work
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 22:13:17
1 On Sunday 14 September 2008 23:38:08 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 23:35 +0200, Pintér Tibor wrote:
3 > > Michael Sullivan írta:
4 > > > I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.
5 > > >
6 > > > michael@bullet ~ $ passwd
7 > > > passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
8 > > >
9 > > > I'd like to change my password, but I can't. Any thoughts?
10 > >
11 > > readonly filesystem?
12 > > missing suid?
13 > >
14 > > t
15 >
16 > And how would I check for/fix that?
17
18 the passwd program is installed in /bin, so run 'mount' and check the options
19 it displays for the filesystem mounted at '/' and will look like this:
20
21 /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
22
23 You too should have 'rw' in the brackets
24
25 suid: this is not a program, it is an attribute that you can set for a program
26 file. I can see from your general comments that you are new to this game, so
27 I won't try just yet to explain what suid means. Just
28 run 'ls -al /usr/bin/passwd' and check that the first column looks like mine:
29
30 -rws--x--x 1 root root 38464 Aug 4 02:42 /bin/passwd
31
32 The 's' is vital, passwd will not work without it.
33
34 In another post you mentioned getresuid(). Pretend you never saw this - it is
35 a system call used by programmers when writing code. A user will never use
36 it. You already have the ability to make programs suid - it's built into the
37 kernel and the user programs that switch it on and off are part of a package
38 called coreutils. I 100% guarantee that it is installed on your machine.
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com