From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migration from single to dual core
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:17:25
1 On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 00:14 +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I have been running a machine for a long while. I am beginning to
3 > think that the old saw that Gentoo isn't release oriented is hogwash:
4 > each installation seems to be more polished, leaving behind a windrove
5 > of cruft accumlating over the years. The few times I have installed
6 > since my introduction two years ago have each exposed some more
7 > polished installation aspects/details.
8 >
9 > Be that as it may, I have now installed a new motherboard and CPU. I
10 > have moved from a 64 bit AMD single core Athlon 64 to a dual core AMD
11 > Athlon 64. The install has gone well, I have had to recompile the
12 > kernel before migrating; however, some questions remain.
13 >
14 > So it's back to the old threads about whether 64 bits is superior to
15 > 32, etc. My question now is, given that the system is working damned
16 > well now, what is the best way to handle this: recompile everything?
17 > Should I recompile gcc and the libraries and all compilers.
18 >
19 > I have to say that this system is pretty solid, but it's been hard to
20 > keep up with the housekeeping. And emerge -uDav world has been next
21 > to impossible.
22 >
23 > So, again, what differences will there be, that will require immediate
24 > adjustment? I have changed to "-j3" in make.conf. I have so many
25 > packages installed it will take many days to recompile, and, again, I
26 > am considering a reinstallation of everything. Gentoo has cured me of
27 > that weakness for constant upgrades and installs, even while
28 > convincing me of the excellence of compiling for the machine.
29
30 I don't think you have to recompile everything. AMD64 and AMD64 X2 share
31 the same -march setting. All that might need to be done is adding -msse3
32 to your CFLAGS, because the first generations of AMD64 didn't have that
33 feature and thus it's not included in -march=k8.
34
35 However, this flag should only influence multimedia apps and encoders
36 like mplayer, vlc or ogmtools (and their direct deps).