From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot gentoo with GTP Disk label
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 21:47:51
1 On Wednesday 12 May 2010 21:47:41 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Monday 10 May 2010 17:01:02 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > >> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, claude angéloz
5 > >>
6 > >> <claude.angeloz@×××××××.ch> wrote:
7 > >> > Hello,
8 > >> >
9 > >> > I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
10 > >> > reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
11 > >> > partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label.
12 > >> > I can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
13 > >> >
14 > >> > I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
15 > >> >
16 > >> > - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
19 > >> > but actually no succesful...
20 > >> > but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
21 > >> >
22 > >> > I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for
23 > >> > a macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
24 > >> > support.
25 > >> >
26 > >> > I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
27 > >> > pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
28 > >> >
29 > >> > If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
30 > >> > Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?
31 > >>
32 > >> I'm using GPT partitions and with the grub-0.97-r9 in Gentoo it has
33 > >> patches to boot from GPT disks. I just did normal grub install as
34 > >> usual and everything seems to work. I'm not using the partition label,
35 > >> though, but only "root (hd0,0)"
36 > >
37 > > Interesting. Does grub install its bootloader into the MBR, or in a GPT
38 > > boot partition? I am not at all familiar with this new way of booting
39 > > systems.
40 >
41 > I think basically GPT is a replacement for MBR, everything basically
42 > works the same way otherwise. GPT has features like redunancy, removes
43 > limits of MBR (no primary/logical designation anymore, no 2TB limit,
44 > etc). I think it has a somewhat MBR-compatible layout in the first
45 > sector so non-GPT-aware things can still partially recognize it.
46
47 Am I right to assume that your 1st partition on the 1st disk is the GPT boot
48 partition and therefore its 1st sector is what would on a conventional disk be
49 the MBR?
52 Regards,
53 Mick