From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wakeup in virtualbox vm?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:31:31
1 On 18 Jul 2009, at 09:49, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
2 > ... Is there a
3 > way that the guest recognizes the wakeup and than sets the time
4 > using ntpdate
5 > or based on the clock of the host-os which is ntp-synchronized?
6
7 I doubt it. I know little about virtualisation, so am ready to be
8 proved wrong on that one.
9
10 I can only think to make a cron job to call an ntp pool on a regular
11 basis. I think there may be a switch to ntp which allows it to make
12 larger jumps.
13
14 The problem with this is that etiquette would tend to dictate not
15 syncing with the upstream ntp server more than once per hour, so each
16 time you wake it up your clock is going to be wrong for an average of
17 45 minutes (allowing for Sod's Law). Solution that occurs to me is to
18 run your own local ntp server on another machine which doesn't sleep
19 (or on the host Mac itself) and sync with that; thus your cron job can
20 run every minute to update the clock, and the time it takes to correct
21 after waking will be insignificant.
22
23 Or sleep or hibernate the guest o/s before sleeping the host.
24
25 Stroller.
29 PS: shouldn't the correct virtualisation terminology be "host o/s" and
30 "parasite o/s"? Methinks the marketing department were allowed to
31 write the docs on this one.