From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Should /usr be merged with /? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?)
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:04:13
1 On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:27:03 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 01:16:34 +0800
5 > >
6 > > Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> whatever filesystem type
8 > >>
9 > >> it is.
10 > >>
11 > >>Following this, for any distro to correctly FHS, there needs to be a
12 > >>package manager switch to copy arbitrary packages (and dependent
13 > >>libraries) from /usr to /. As of yet not implemented.
14 > >>
15 > > Not at all, FUSE is a userspace flesystem meant to be used after single
16 > > user.
17 > >
18 > > The spec says you have to be able to mount other filesystems not all
19 > > other filesystems. I'd like to see you mount an OpenBSD ffs partition.
20 >
21 > If "other filesystems" is not qualified (and it is not), normal
22 > English rules would have it mean "all other filesystems" which I take
23 > to mean "all other filesystems on the system". Can you justify a
24 > better interpretation?
27 The latest FHS dates from 2004, the same year as the *earliest* FUSE release I
28 can see on the FUSE web site. I'd say a good working hypothesis is that FHS
29 was simply written *before* any user-space file systems were more than an
30 experimental oddity.
33 > IF the system's /home directory is formatted as an OpenBSD partition,
34 > then yes, FHS demands that tools for mounting and recovering it be in
35 > /.
38 I'd certainly be happy "fixing" FHS to say that tools for mounting and
39 recovering "essential system partitions" be located in /, and that these
40 "essential system partitions" contain the tools for mounting and recovering
41 non-essential partitions.
42
43 If you are wondering where I stand, I currently boot with an initramfs, since
44 I have everything except /boot located on LVM devices. This includes / and a
45 seperate /usr, done mostly from habit after 15 years of habit, and working
46 where that was the corporate standard production practice.
47
48 As to system recovery, nowdays I ususlly do that by booting from a live CD/DVD
49 so I have access to all the tools when I need them. Which reminds me that I
50 need to update my rescue DVD to the latest version...
54 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
55 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
56 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro