From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user]
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 07:57:32
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday 04 September 2009 13:47:51 Cinder Cinder wrote:
3 >
4 >> Wow! I made it! I'm in! Just installed my first Gentoo (Phew!). Its cool!
5 >> I'm up to part 2 of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook "Working With Gentoo" and
6 >> I've managed to install a few things, namely vim, links, and xorg-server
7 >> (As per the Xorg server Configuration Guide) in addition the some essential
8 >> tools mentioned in the Handbook. I tried to install xfce4-meta (Xfce
9 >> Configuration Guide)
10 >>
11 >> code:
12 >> # emerge -avt xfce4-meta
13 >>
14 >> ... and was informed that I need to add +jpeg to my USE flags. So I did
15 >> (minus the plus sign:) Then emerge said some packages are blocking each
16 >> other. I tried unmerging the blocking packages as per the Handbook. but
17 >> they don't seem to be installed yet, so that seems to rule out updating
18 >> them. The Handbook says if two yet to be installed packages are blocking
19 >> each other I should file a bug report. I don't understand bug reporting
20 >> yet. I tried updating the system.
21 >>
22 >> Code:
23 >> # emerge --update --deep world
24 >>
25 >> ... but I get the same meassage. Can anyone help? Heres my /etc/make.conf
29 > <snipped configuration files>
30 >
31 > Can you paste the exact output you get when you run:
32 >
33 > # emerge -va --update --deep world
34 > the "-va" will make the output verbose and will ask for confirmation if all
35 > dependencies can be resolved correctly.
36 > (might be usefull to always use that to double check what you are installing)
37 >
38 > --
39 > Joost
44 The OP may also want to consider unmasking the latest portage,
45 portage-2.2_rc40. That is the version I am using and it seems to work
46 fine. This may take care of some of the blocking issues depending on
47 the version of portage he is currently using.
48
49 Just worth thinking about.
50
51 Dale