From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Duel boot - How to verify boot loader updates?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 20:55:47
1 Hi,
2 This is a bit of a conceptual question, simplified but based on a
3 machine I do own, from someone who knows very little about boot loader
4 implementations. (I.e. - me) Thanks in advance for any pointers you can
5 provide.
6
7 Assume a machine with two separate M.2 SSDs. The M.2 devices are
8 identical in size and from the same manufacturer. For the sake of
9 discussion they are partitioned identically and they both have the same
10 distro installed. One is stable, the other is bleeding edge. For simplicity
11 there are no other disk drives involved in either installation. Both
12 installs have the same boot loader, grub2 I guess, and both have
13 configurations that boot themselves by default but offer the other drive as
14 a second option.
15
16 Assume the bleeding edge system (or the other - it doesn't matter to me)
17 gets a grub2 update, and further assume the update is either automatic or
18 done by someone other than yourself. Whoever did the updates 'tests' the
19 machine by booting into both versions, and both versions are tested as
20 default in BIOS so that no matter what everything appears to be working.
21
22 THE QUESTION: After the fact, if I wanted to look at the two
23 installations in detail, how would I determine that the grub update was
24 done to the installation doing the update and not done to the other
25 (nearly) identical installation?
26
27 Thanks in advance,
28 Mark