From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~amd64] Anyone survive the big gnome update from this morning (July 25)?[painfully FIXED]
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 00:31:03
1 On 07/25/2013 06:10 PM, walt wrote:
2 > I'm very happy that I did the gnome update on a virtual gentoo
3 > machine instead of my real machine :) The virtual gentoo is
4 > unusable at the moment because gnome is very sick indeed.
5
6 Two things changed today to help fix the problems: more gnome
7 package updates were committed overnight, and I changed my
8 make.profile from plain "desktop" to "desktop/gentoo".
9
10 I spent all day today fixing and working around problems, though.
11 Mostly conflicting package slots, conflicting useflags, and two
12 gnome packages that won't compile. I'm pooped, but gnome-shell
13 is actually working now!
14
15 Tomorrow: I start installing gnome-shell extensions :/
16
17 BTW, gnome-base/gnome-fallback doesn't work for me any longer, but
18 there are recent gnome-shell extensions that do similar things.
19
20 BTW #2, I had to start with a clean home directory with no gnome
21 stuff left over from before the update, otherwise the loveable and
22 very cuddly "Oh No! Something has gone very wrong and you're now
23 screwed" icon pops up. I'll try to narrow down the guilty config
24 files tomorrow