From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, boot.repair@×××××.com
Subject: [gentoo-user] SNAFU!!!! Boot drive modernization.
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 14:38:54
1 After 7 long years, the peace of mind feature on my Velociraptor HD had
2 finally given up the ghost.
3
4 So I get a new SSD, that's slightly smaller but still a large multiple
5 of what I actually need the drive for. =P
6
7 To be fully trendy (and finally wanting to put the 1980's to bed) I try
8 to set up UEFI on gpt partitions, so the new boot partition, which is
9 also excessively large, now has a EFI directory.
10
11 ############################
12
13 localhost new_uefi # tree -L 2
14 .
15 ├── config-4.6.7
16 ├── EFI
17 │ ├── BOOT
18 │ └── gentoo
19 ├── grub
20 │ ├── default
21 │ ├── device.map
22 │ ├── e2fs_stage1_5
23 │ ├── fat_stage1_5
24 │ ├── ffs_stage1_5
25 │ ├── fonts
26 │ ├── grub.cfg
27 │ ├── grubenv
28 │ ├── i386-pc
29 │ ├── iso9660_stage1_5
30 │ ├── jfs_stage1_5
31 │ ├── locale
32 │ ├── minix_stage1_5
33 │ ├── reiserfs_stage1_5
34 │ ├── splash.xpm.gz
35 │ ├── stage1
36 │ ├── stage2
37 │ ├──
38 stage2_eltorito
39
40 │ ├──
41 themes
42
43 │ ├──
44 ufs2_stage1_5
45
46 │ ├──
47 vstafs_stage1_5
48
49 │ ├──
50 x86_64-efi
51
52 │ └──
53 xfs_stage1_5
54
55 ├──
56 memtest86plus
57
58 │ ├──
59 memtest
60
61 │ └──
62 memtest.netbsd
63
64 ├──
65 System.map-4.6.7
66
67 └──
68 vmlinuz-4.6.7
72 10 directories, 23
73 files
74
75 localhost new_uefi #
76 ############################
77
78 Okay,
79
80 I copy GRUB into BOOT and test it, I unplugged the 'raptor to make it a
81 good test. It got to the point of kernel loading where it stalled
82 presumably because the kernel couldn't find root. But I had TESTED GRUB
83 AND IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
84
85 <catches breath>
86
87 Okay...
88
89 I then use a parted CD and tried to rsync my data across, got bitten by
90 the goddamned trailing / missfeature, ended up using mv and fixed the
91 directory entries instead of putting another 50gb of wear on my new drive.
92
93 ****
94 Side note: these boot CDs disable my mouse because it's using a USB port
95 that's mapped to the same IO address space as another USB port and, due
96 to my CPU/MOBO combination, I need about a dozen kernel parameters to
97 unhose using IOMMU.
98 ****
99
100 So I've tested grub, it got to the kernel,
101
102 Now I have a root filesystem so the kernel should work.
103
104 Now to juggle the cables
105
106 Grub now dies before accomplishing anything whatsoever complaining that
107 it can't find a specific uuid.
108
109 I have one thing to say about UUID's at this point:
110
111 BURN
112 -- IN --
113 HELL.
114
115 Before I had been indifferent because I could ignore them completely
116 with no ill effects,
117
118 Now it's failing in a way that I don't even know what's going on. jeez!
119
120 So what I did was pray to almighty GooG and was provided with a grub
121 boot repair disk.. Which wouldn't work because it refused to touch a
122 UEFI system from a legacy-booted CD... So I reformatted my only CF disk
123 (which was reserved for BIOS images) and got it to do the work. The
124 keyboard input barely worked because there was almost no visible
125 feedback of the cursor position when the gui was operated by keyboard...
126 Anyway, I set the settings the way I wanted and it stopped dead at "plz
127 wait a few minutes while botching up your kernels "... I came back the
128 next morning and it was still frozen so I juggled the cables back and am
129 therefore able to write this e-mail. =\
132 Strange Game.
133 The only winning move is not to play.
134
135 Powers are not rights.