From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGs for kernel compilation
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:12:03
1 Am 30.04.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Andrew Savchenko:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:26:22 +0200 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >> That simple. The kernel is too important and the people programming it
6 >> know what they are doing. Don't set anything. It is retarded.
7 >>> - I don't like invoking 'CFLAGS="-O2 -march=foo"make'
8 >>> - I don't want to set CFLAGS as a persistent environment variable.
9 >>> - I don't want to modify the kernel Makefile
10 >>>
11 >>> Does it actually make sense to set an optimization level and -march?
12 >> no
13 > While I completely agree with you that kernel CFLAGS should not be
14 > randomly tampered with, I can't agree that -march itself is useless.
15 > Tests and results are available here:
16 > https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch
17 >
18 > Optimization is a very powerful tool if taken with care. Of course
19 > it may lead to a disastrous result if mindlessly used.
20 >
21 > Best regards,
22 > Andrew Savchenko
23
24 if your mail client or browser is miscompiled, it is crashy, but worst
25 case, a bunch of emails or bookmarks are lost.
26
27 If the kernel fucks up, it might write across partition boundaries and
28 destroy ALL your data. Or writes garbage instead of data.
29
30 Don't f* with the kernel.