From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to find a bounced message
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:10:01
1 Jack wrote:
2 > On 1/18/22 11:45, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:39:13 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I got a bounced-message message yesterday, giving its number. How can I
6 >>> find it? The Gentoo archives site doesn't include a search function,
7 >>> nor message IDs.
8 >> Send a mail to the List-Help address in the headers of any list message.
9 >> It will send you a list of the commands you can use, including the
10 >> one to
11 >> retrieve a message by number.
12 >
13 > That message number is used by mlmmj, the mailing list manager
14 > software, but unfortunately, it doesn't translate to anything that
15 > lets you find the message in any archive.  You can request a re-send
16 > of the message, as Neil says, which will work if the problem was
17 > transient.  However, if the message was blocked by any filter (spam
18 > related?) between the list server and you, the resent version will get
19 > blocked the same way.  As far as I can tell, the only way to get a
20 > reference to find the message in the archives is to send a message to
21 > an admin.   I've been meaning to ask about this on the mlmmj mailing
22 > list, but have not yet done so.
23 >
24 > Jack
31 I've followed the instructions in the past and never got the lost
32 messages.  I think what it is, the list software is blocking spam, as
33 you suggest, that we shouldn't even know about but for some reason, the
34 software tells us anyway.  I suspect it is deleted which means there is
35 nothing to retrieve.  Therefore, when we request it, we get nothing.
36
37 Either way, I've never had it work.  Whatever the reason is.
38
39 Dale
40