From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [solved] emerge --sync timeouts
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 00:48:02
1 Matthew Closson wrote:
5 > Actually, I did not try web-sync, I will and let you know, but doing
6 > some googling I came across the mirrorselect utility and did the
7 > following
8 >
9 > emerge mirrorselect
10 > mirrorselect -ri
11 >
12 > it presents options for your rsync mirror, I choose
13 >
14 > rsync.namerica.gentoo.org
15 >
16 > which updated my this line in my /etc/make.conf
17 >
18 > SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
22 > SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
23 >
24 > then emerge --sync and it is working
25 >
26 > So as far as why it was timing out trying to sync to the main rsync
27 > site I'm still not sure, but at least its working now.
28 >
29 > Thanks,
30 >
31 > -Matt-
36 I have ran into the same thing with some servers. Sometimes it will get
37 half way through then stop. I use the same server you have as your new
38 one and it seems to work fine for me as well. Maybe that server needs
39 some adjusting.
40
41 By any chance, would you have a dial-up connection that is somewhat
42 slow? Mine connects at 26K and I think sometimes it just take to long
43 to get it and the servers disconnects me.
44
45 Dale
46 :-)
49 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
50
51 I have four rigs:
52
53 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
54 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
55 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
56 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
57
58 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list