From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:20:53
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/28/2012 03:41 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > > Paul Hartman wrote:
5 > >> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>> It appears that grub2 is coming soon.
7 > >> grub 2.00 has been released!
8 > >>
9 > >> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
12 > > I wasn't expecting it to be that soon.  I guess it will hit the tree
13 > > pretty soon then.  Well, we all need to think about the goods and bads
14 > > of upgrading or staying with the old.  I'm thinking about using the new
15 > > one pretty soon.  Heck, they ticked me off pretty bad with the /usr and
16 > > init thingy so I may as well jump off the cliff I was pushed up to.  :/
17 > >
18 > > 1/4 of the way down, all is good so far.  1/2 way down and all is good
19 > > so far.  3/4 way down and all is good so far.  I'm worried about that
20 > > sudden stop now.  O_O
21 >
22 > Well said :)
23 >
24 > I've heard a rumor that Windows doesn't like GUID partition tables, so
25 > I haven't yet installed grub2 on my one machine that still multiboots
26 > between operating systems.  (That's my one remaining machine with a
27 > legal install of Windows.)  I confess I'm not interested enough to
28 > confirm the rumor, so I continue to wait because there is no incentive
29 > for me to make the change.
32 I've never had a problem with Grub 2 + Windows (XP, Vista, 7, still
33 haven't had the will to sacrifice myself for 8). Although sometimes
34 it seems, with all the complaining some linux users like to do about
35 new software, I must be a wee bit lucky. Been using Grub 2 alpha/beta
36 for years with much success! I've so far enjoyed the configuration
37 more than legacy Grub.