From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:26:05
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
2 > On 26.04.2013 19:41, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> In the end, I humbly believe it's up to me to judge what effect there is
8 >>> for
9 >>> me on my computers.
12 >> Yes, that's exactly the point. Scroll up and reread this thread,
13 >> though, and you'll get the impression that some complainers seem to
14 >> think that Lennart is breaking into their systems and magickally
15 >> installing his 175-year old software in them. What's this about 100%
16 >> of the users being "forced" to have pulseaudio in?
19 > Yes, being.
20 > I don't know if Lennart writes great code (doesn't seem like that though)
21 > but what I can see is that he never asks what people need. He forces his
22 > self-righteous software upon us as a sole alternative. Instead of first
23 > creating (at least talking over) protocols which are (no need to explain
24 > why) better, he creates a proggy which aims to be all-powerful all-solving
25 > (including adobe flash's bugs) and probably to conquer all the world.
26 > I don't know again. That's the impression. Maybe there's one who knows
27 > better. But AFAICT all (really) great software talks protocols and
28 > standards. In Lennart's works, I don't see any.
29 > And that said, yes, I'm being forced. Gradually it all goes for us all to
30 > have to have his works installed everywhere. Someone's justifying this by
31 > "the needs of 1% users", the other one by "the ease to maintain one library
32 > instead of a lot", the next one by it being brand new -- regardless. It's
33 > kinda mass psychosis. Whatever you say if not "it's great", you get: "oh,
34 > again you with your criticism of lennart"? "I have *** installed and it
35 > works, and you are kinda dumb yourself" etc.
36 > It doubtlessly greatly assists in inclining my point of view towards
37 > installing lennart's stuff, yeah.
38
39 You do realize that Lennart hasn't been the maintainer of PulseAudio
40 since *BEFORE* the 1.0 release? And that now it has in fact many
41 contributors, and they just released 3.0 in December and are getting
42 ready to release 4.0? And that systemd/udev has dozens of
43 contributors, from (basically) all the distributions, and that several
44 of them are kernel developers?
45
46 You may not like the *design* of the stuff, but you certainly can't
47 complaint about the *quality* of it.
48
49 You are not being forced to anything: in the worst case you can patch
50 all the programs you use, the code is out there.
51
52 Regards.
53 --
54 Canek Peláez Valdés